UCLA Planetarium, located on the 8th
floor of the Mathematical Sciences Building
(Click to view larger image)
The UCLA Planetarium (Room MS 8224) is located on the eighth floor of the Mathematical Sciences Building, and the telescopes are located on the ninth floor.
Due to congestion on the UCLA campus, please allow ample time for parking as we are not able to accommodate late arrivals.
Parking is available at many of UCLA's parking structures for approximately
$3.00/hour or at on-street meters on UCLA's campus. The parking
structures closest to the Mathematical Sciences building are Lots 6 and 9
(off of Westwood Blvd) and Lot 2 (off of Hilgard Ave).
Motorcycle and scooter parking is free of charge in designated areas. There are areas north of Lot 9 (next to Ackerman Union) and west of Lot 2 (at the intersection of Westholme and Charles E. Young Drive.
Bicycle parking is available in the Court of Sciences, just south of the Mathematical Sciences Building breezeway. Bicycle lockers are available for rental in Lot 2.
UCLA is accessible via several bus lines. They are: Metro lines 2, 20, 302, 305, 720, 761, & 920, Big Blue
Bus lines 1, 2, 3, 8, & 12/Super 12, and Culver City Bus
line 6/Rapid 6.
The UCLA Campus Express stops at Lot 2, but does not run after 7 PM during the academic year or after 6 PM during summer, winter, and spring breaks.
Directions on Campus
- The Mathematical Sciences Building is located in south
campus and has several white observatory domes on the roof.
Click here for a full campus map.
- Enter the Mathematical Sciences Building through the doors in the breezeway (opposite the vending machines). You will enter on the fifth floor.
- Go up to the eighth floor by stairs or elevator.
(1) For stairs: proceed straight ahead into a short hallway and enter the stairwell through a large door on your left (under the "Exit" sign). Go up three floors to the eighth floor. Turn right out of the stairwell, walk through an archway, and then immediately turn right again to follow the short hallway out onto the roof of the building.
(2) For elevator: turn left immediately and take the elevator to the eight floor. Exit left out of the elevator, then turn left again, and follow the short hallway out onto the roof of the building.
- You should see signs pointing the way when you exit the stairwell/elevator.
- As you walk onto the roof, the planetarium dome is directly in front of you.
- To get to the telescopes, take the stairs behind you (above the door to the roof) to the 9th floor roof. At the top of the stairs, turn right and then left at the end of the wall and you will see the dome housing the 14" telescope.