Wednesday Evening Public Shows
Public planetarium shows are free and suitable for all ages, and are given by current astronomy graduate students. Content varies with presenters, but commonly includes discussion about the current night sky, constellations, astronomical phenomena, and more!
Public shows are free. No tickets or reservations required.
Summer 2017 Show Schedule
|June 21||—||No show|
|June 28||8:00 PM||New Horizon’s Mission to Pluto|
|July 5||8:00 PM||Black Holes|
|July 12||8:00 PM||Brown Dwarfs|
|July 19||8:00 PM||In the Skies of Other Worlds|
|July 26||8:00 PM||Show canceled|
|August 2||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|August 9||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|August 16||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|August 23||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|August 30||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|September 6||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|September 13||8:00 PM||Topic to be announced|
|September 20||—||No show|
Public shows are hosted every Wednesday night when UCLA is in session, including summer sessions. See the UCLA academic calendar for details about the UCLA schedule.
- Public planetarium shows start at 8 pm during Daylight Savings Time (7 PM otherwise) on Wednesday evenings (except holidays and final exam weeks)
- Planetarium shows typically last about 60 minutes, with a special topic show and star show lasting about 30 minutes each
- The planetarium is located on the 8th floor of the UCLA Mathematical Sciences Building (Directions)
No late arrivals! We cannot admit guests after show has started. Please arrive on time.
On clear nights, visitors are invited to look through one of the department telescopes after the planetarium show. We view a variety of celestial objects, including planets, nebulae, and star clusters (depending on what objects are currently visible in the night sky).
- Telescope viewing follows planetarium show
- Located on the 9th floor roof of the UCLA Mathematical Sciences Building
- Telescope viewings are offered weather and schedule permitting
- Telescope viewings are not offered during the summer