Private Educational Group Shows
Private shows for school and educational groups are free of charge!
The UCLA Planetarium offers planetarium shows, telescope shows, and other astronomical activities free of charge to school and educational groups. Corporate and private non-educational groups are asked to make a nominal donation to the planetarium to cover operating costs.
Note: We are currently booked through the end of May. Please contact us if you would like to schedule a show for June or later.
Important things to know when requesting a private show:
- Max seating capacity is 49 people per show. We can offer multiple shows for large groups. Recommended group sizes are 30-35 per show, or smaller for visitors with special needs.
- Typical shows are about 1 hour in length. This includes a
special topic presentation
and night-sky show. We also offer 30-minute shows that consist only of the night-sky show.
- Generally, we can be flexible regarding the scheduling, length, and content of shows but we may be limited by the availability of our volunteer presenters.
To arrange for a private show, please email the
following information to
planet [at] astro.ucla.edu at least 4 weeks in advance of your preferred date:
- Name and/or affiliation of your group
- Number and grade/age range of child attendees
- Number of adult attendees and/or chaperones
- Preferred dates and times (note that we prefer to start shows on the quarter hour (i.e. 10:15am) to avoid foot traffic of UCLA students switching classes)
- Contact information (email and phone) for organizer and person leading the visit
- Title of preferred special topic presentation (choose from this list) or indicate if you would prefer only a night-sky show (both are presented in the planetarium).