Yahoo's Cosmological Hall of Shame
Yahoo's category devoted to cosmology is dominated by erroneous
theories. As of 12-May-98 only five of the eleven entries are correct.
Since Yahoo is supposed to be a guide to what's best on the Internet, I
am bothered by their promotion of incorrect models for the Universe.
The new entry which I first saw on 2-Jul-98 is also incorrect, bringing
the Yahoo score down to 5 out of 12, but the new entry I saw on
20-Jul-98 is correct, giving a current score of 6 out of 13.
Here are my grades for the listed pages:
Ned Wright's Home Page
- Collapse of the Universe (New on 20-Jul-98) - B. Discusses the idea
that the "arrow of time" would go backwards (entropy would decrease) in
a contracting Universe. Points out that there is very little evidence
for this idea, but no evidence against it. Actually, we could never
observe evidence against this idea, so it is not falsifiable, and hence
not a scientific theory according to Popper.
- Origin and its Meaning, The - (New on 2-Jul-98) - F. Claims the
redshift is due to light from distant objects being emitted with higher
velocities in the past, leading to a longer wavelength for the same
frequency. This is really pathetic, since measurements of wavelength,
frequency, and photon energy are all consistent with the same redshift.
- Creation of a Cosmology: The Big Bang Theory - B. Note that the
misspelled ``Cosmolgy'' on the Yahoo listing is not due to Scott
- Erk's Cosmology Pages - D: the critical density case does not
approach a fixed size as t goes to infinity. The spelling ``Erk'' is
due to Eric Baird.
- Hot Big Bang - A. The Cambridge University cosmology site.
- Introduction to Cosmology - A. The Microwave Anisotropy Probe Web
- NASA's Origins Program - B. This is a good site, but much of
NASA cosmology is in the
Structure and Evolution of the Universe Program. Look at both.
- The New Big Bang - D: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Special relativity does not work in the coordinates used by cosmology.
- Rufus's Galaxy - F: this is actually a
tired light model, and is thus dead,
but it also proposes that the
redshift is proportional to the frequency,
which is totally contrary to the evidence.
- Scientific American: Twist and Shout - A: a good site, a great
magazine. Of course Nodland and Ralston are wrong about the "twist"
in the Universe.
- Secret of Creation: F - ether! and Ho = 500 km/sec/Mpc to
- Symmetric Theory: D - an unclassifiable mess. Example: "a flat
rotation curve implies solid body rotation."
- Why the Big Bang is Wrong: F - more tired
light but with the added failure of a
mechanism that just won't work.
Part 1 |
Part 2 |
Part 3 |
Part 4 |
© 1998-1999 Edward L. Wright.
Last modified 25-Nov-1999